Wednesday 30 October 2013

Thoughts from the Bottom of a Lake

I've just finished Sad Robot Stories, by Mason Johnson. The ambiguity in the title is both delicious and deliberate: they are, in fact, stories about a sad robot, and they are also, in fact, sad stories about a robot. Called Robot. Not Toby, not Jesus, and definitely not Michael.

I'll be reviewing it for Sabotage shortly, but if you've a few hours to kill on the commute, I'd strongly recommend downloading the PDF for a short social-SF story that touches on a whole lot of subjects without lingering, and offers a thoughtful perspective without ever navel-gazing.

P.S. I've just discovered an earlier work by the same author, with the same title. Check that out too. I think the man's cats are safe, but you can't be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment